Getting help on a specific function
To read more about a given function, for example mean, the R function help() can be used as follow:
Or use this:
The output look like this:
If you want to see some examples of how to use the function, type this: example(function_name).
Note that, typical R help files contain the following sections:
- Description: a short description of what the function does.
- Usage: the syntax of the function.
- Arguments: the description of the arguments taken by the function.
- Value: the value returned by the function
- Examples: provide examples on how to use the function
If you want to read the general documentation about R, use the function help.start():
The output is a web page, on most R installations, which can be browsed by clicking the hyperlinks.
- apropos(): returns a list of object, containing the pattern you searched, by partial matching. This is useful when you don’t remember exactly the name of the function:
# Returns the list of object containing "med" apropos("med")
 ".__C__namedList" "elNamed" "elNamed<-" "median" "median.default"  "medpolish" "runmed"
- healp.search() (alternatively ??): Search for documentation matching a given character in different ways. It returns a list of function containing your searched term with a short description of the function.
help.search("mean") # Or use this ??mean
This analysis has been performed using R software (ver. 3.2.3).
Show me some love with the like buttons below... Thank you and please don't forget to share and comment below!!
Montrez-moi un peu d'amour avec les like ci-dessous ... Merci et n'oubliez pas, s'il vous plaît, de partager et de commenter ci-dessous!
Recommended for You!
R Graphics Essentials for Great Data Visualization: 200 Practical Examples You Want to Know for Data Science
Want to Learn More on R Programming and Data Science?
Follow us by Email On Social Networks: